San Bernardino County reported its first death Tuesday from the coronavirus, and the number of confirmed cases in the county more than doubled since Sunday. The County Public Health Department said a 50-year-old man with underlying health conditions died Tuesday from COVID-19. Los Angeles County reported Tuesday that the first teenager to die of the virus in the United States was a boy from Lancaster who did not have any underlying health conditions. The number of confirmed cases in San Bernardino County jumped to 38 on Tuesday, up from 17 on Sunday. General Roger Turner from the Combat Center in Twentynine Palms said 37 Marines have been tested for the coronavirus; 30 results are negative and the remaining seven Marines are waiting for their results. Turner stressed that steps will be taken to ensure compliance concerning social distancing among Marines and civilians on the base.
The County of San Bernardino will hold a press conference on the COVID-19 pandemic today (Wednesday, March 25) at 10 a.m. The press conference will be streamed live and also archived for later viewing on the County website and on the county’s Facebook page. Tune in and get the vital information you have been asking for.
http://www.sbcounty.gov/Main/Pages/ViewMeetings.aspx and on the County Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SanBernardinoCounty/.
Residents and park employees have complained to Z107.7 about the partial closure of Joshua Tree National Park, claiming that residents’ health is endangered. Managing editor Tami Roleff has more information…
Many believe that because Joshua Tree National Park has only closed the roads into the park to vehicular traffic—leaving biking and hiking trails still open—that the National Park Service and the Department of the Interior are still encouraging people to come visit the park, endangering the health of park rangers and local residents. They maintain that rangers who are stationed at the park’s gates to tell visitors where they can park and camp could be potentially exposed to the coronavirus. The order about leaving the hiking and biking trails open is from the Department of the Interior; Z107.7 has contacted the DOI and will update this story with the DOI’s response.
If you would like to contact the Department of the Interior to express your opinion about the partial closure, see this link:
The Sheriff’s Department reminds residents that no healthcare provider, law enforcement officer, or representative from any other government agency is going door-to-door testing for coronavirus. If anyone comes to your door, don’t fall for this scam. Report the activity to the Sheriff’s Department at 760-366-4175.
A Washington state man (whose Facebook page says he is a resident of Palm Desert) was arrested in Desert Hot Springs Monday after he led deputies on a 22-mile pursuit through the Morongo Basin. About 8:20 p.m., a deputy tried to make a traffic stop of a Honda that was traveling westbound on Highway 62 near Palm Avenue in Yucca Valley. The driver, later identified as Wyatt Henderson, 24, failed to yield and led deputies on a high-speed pursuit through Yucca Valley and Morongo Valley and into Desert Hot Springs. The deputy reported that Henderson also drove into oncoming traffic with wanton disregard for the public’s safety. Henderson eventually lost control of his vehicle in a residential neighborhood in the 13900 block of Cuyamaca Drive in Desert Hot Springs and crashed the Honda. He was taken into custody by deputies after trying to flee the scene. Deputies determined that the Honda Henderson had been driving had been reported stolen out of Rancho Mirage. Wyatt Henderson was arrested for investigation of being in possession of a stolen vehicle and for felony evading, booked into the West Valley Detention Center, with his bail set at $100,000.