The four Marines that had undergone testing for COVID-19 aboard the Twentynine Palms Marine Base have all tested negative. Public Affairs spokesman, Chief Warrant Officer 2, Bobbie Curtis said, “There are currently no positively identified cases of COVID-19 aboard the Marine Corps Air-Ground Combat Center, Twentynine Palms, California. We know that this situation is evolving and could change. All necessary public health and CDC protocols and precautions have been activated to protect the health and safety of our Marines, sailors, civilians and families.” As of Monday afternoon, there is one confirmed case in the County of San Bernardino. A 53-year-old woman is currently being treated at Kaiser hospital in Fontana.
San Bernardino County recorded its first case of coronavirus Sunday. A 53-year-old woman went to the emergency room at Kaiser hospital in Fontana on Thursday with symptoms consistent with COVID-19. She had returned from London last week. The acting county health officer said in a statement, “The health risk from COVID-19 to the general public in San Bernardino County remains low at this time, but everyone is strongly urged to engage in practices that reduce the risk of spread.” The county declared a public health emergency last Tuesday, and last Thursday ordered that all public gatherings of 250 people or more be cancelled. The California Centers for Disease and Prevention has recommended that all gatherings of 50 people or more be postponed.
Here is the latest update on Marines Aboard the Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Air-Ground Combat Center. According to the Base Public Information Officer, Captain Nicole Plymale, as of Saturday afternoon, March 14, Four personnel aboard the Combat Center have been tested for COVID-19. Three of the patient’s under investigation were negative; results of the fourth patient are pending. Plymale said any individuals who have returned from a country with widespread transmission of COVID-19 or who have had direct contact with a confirmed COVID-19 patient will be placed on quarantine. Social distancing is being exercising by individuals who have recently returned from travel outside of the U.S. Any individual meeting criteria for COVID-19 testing will be screened and tested according to CDC guidelines.
For those concerned with the food supply, there is plenty of food in the country. Americans have been alarmed by empty grocery shelves, but while food suppliers and retailers say they are struggling with surging demand, they insist the supply chain remains strong.
In an emergency meeting Friday night, the Morongo Unified School District Board of Trustees voted unanimously to close all district schools from March 16-21. According to a recent statement from Superintendent Tom Baumgarten, the board made the precautionary decision to close schools through the guidance of the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health and through the direction of the San Bernardino County Superintendents Office. Reporter Andrew Dieleman has the details of that decision…
To prevent the spread of the coronavirus to district students, staff, and faculty, the MUSD Board of Trustees have voted to close all district schools from March 16-21. All in-person school activities— including school day instruction, health services, enrichment programs, and sports—are canceled until further notice. An emergency food nutrition plan is being prepared, students will receive a combined breakfast and lunch “grab-and-go” cold meal Monday-Friday at designated locations to be determined. The district will continue to collaborate with health officials as the situation progresses, but students, staff, and faculty can expect the closure to be extended at any time.
Meals can be picked up between 9:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. at the school of your choice:
Friendly Hills Elementary
Joshua Tree Elementary
La Contenta Middle
Morongo Valley Elementary
Palm Vista Elementary
29 Palms Elementary
29 Palms Junior High
29 Palms Senior High
Yucca Mesa Elementary
Yucca Valley Elementary
Yucca Valley High
With the exception of “essential district employees,” school district staff and faculty have also been ordered to not come to work March 16-17. The school district will update employees with additional information beginning Tuesday afternoon. All school employees will reportedly receive their regular compensation, and no accrued sick or vacation time will be impacted.